top of page

The effects of being exposed to indoor toxigenic molds and mycotoxins are often misunderstood.  Many people believe they will not be affected by being exposed to mold, because they are not “allergic” to it.  Yet, an “allergy” is not the same thing as a “toxicity”.  Injury and damage to the body as a result of being exposed to mycotoxins, the biotoxins that toxigenic molds emit, can be severe and can affect every bodily system and function.  The brain and the immune system are almost always affected.  Most illness from toxigenic mold is caused by inhalation, or inhaling the spores/mycotoxins. 

Illness depends on a few things, the first being length of exposure.  The longer you are exposed, generally the more you are affected.  Another factor can be the type of mold you have been exposed to and how toxigenic it is.  There are four classifications of mycotoxins, and some molds create all classifications of mycotoxins.  There have been cases where one exposure to mycotoxins has caused death.  The concentration of mycotoxins in an area is another factor.  A moldy area that is closed up has a much higher concentration of mycotoxins.

Sometimes, people will get well leaving their environment.  Others may need extensive treatments that include antifungal therapy, immune system therapy, and detox therapy.  Some may suffer permanent irreversible damage to their brain, lungs, and other organs.  Some people develop “colonization” in the body–the fungus stays inside their body and finds areas to colonize inside the body.  Areas of colonization normally begin in the mucus membranes and continue into the lungs and then into other areas of the body.  Dr. Croft, a pathologist who has done numerous autopsies on those affected by mold has found fungus in virtually every part of the human body.  People who have colonization in their bodies have a more difficult time regaining their health, and treatment can take years. It is virtually a battle of “kill the fungus before IT kills you.”

While there are very few medical physicians in the US who are knowledgeable about and/or treat systemic fungal disease or colonization of fungus in the body, even these few have different views regarding fungal illness.  A few link it to a genetic predisposition while others’ studies indicate that exposure to mycotoxins actually causes certain types of DNA changes.  Some physicians focus on the body’s inability to detox properly and address these issues as part of their treatment.  Click here for info on mthfr.   Click here for biotoxin pathway info.   

Another factor is the indication of possible co-infections associated with those exposed to toxigenic molds and mycotoxins,   Mycoplasma pathogen co-infections, if not addressed and treated, can make treatment of fungal illness ineffective or less effective.  Recommended testing for coinfections  There is particular correlation between chronic lyme disease and mold victims.  If you have chronic lyme, you should be tested for fungal disease. If you have fungal disease, you should be tested for lyme disease.  Allopathic  treatment for mycoplasma infections consists of long-term antibiotic use, some of which may be IV administered.  Different and various antibiotics are used during treatment, and herximer (die-off) reactions can be severe and very debilitating.  Lauricidin brand name contains monolaurin, a natural substance derived from coconut oil.  Studies have indicated it’s effectiveness in the treatment of many of these mycoplasma pathogens.  Since Lauricidin can be taken a little at a time and increased slowly, die-off reactions can be kept to a minimum.  If strong herx reaction occurs, you simply cut back or stop a couple days, and then continue.  Read more about mycoplasma pathogens from the links below:


Others believe the presence of heavy metals in the blood, like mercury- will make treatment almost impossible and so address removal of mercury before further treatment.  


All agree, however, that exposure to mycotoxins will adversely affect the health of anyone who is exposed to them. 


While some people may exhibit serious symptoms associated with exposure, others may show little or no symptoms.  This does NOT mean they are not being affected.  You see, mycotoxins affect the cells inside the body.   Mycotoxins are protein synthesis inhibitors, and this can result in abnormal cell growth and structure.  Some people who may not exhibit serious symptoms can develop diseases like cancer because their cells and/or immune system have been affected.  The latest data indicates that those who have been exposed to indoor toxigenic mold/mycotoxins are 60% more likely to develop cancer.  It would be my guess that it is much, much higher than that.  In fact, I believe that everyone who contracts cancer should have their cancer tested to see if it is fungal-related.  Why?  If your cancer is fungal-related, and you do not get medical treatment for the fungus, the cancer will come back.  And, if the cancer IS fungal-related, the anti-fungal  therapy would be a more effective cancer treatment.  However, you will have to do some searching to find a lab to test your cancer for fungus, because very few hospitals/cancer centers check this.   On the “physician” list on this site are labs that test for fungus and/or mycotoxins.  Dr. Croft also does testing for mold illness and fungal-induced tumors. 

Health Information

Health Links
bottom of page